Friday, August 24, 2007

Week 6

It has been interestsing and enlightening looking at all those blogs and all those networking sites, but I am not certain about how useful they are. I guess I am comfortable enough with my searching skills that I did not find much I didn't already know about when I went searching in del.icio.us. And I have been successful enough in managing folders in my bookmarks that at this time I do not need those managing tools.

I am glad to know there is something like technorati, and probably some I share this with will be very glad to learn about it. What I can't figure out is who in the world has time to create and read all those blogs?

Which brings me to the future of libraries:
Libraries and librarians help provide information. The explosion of blogs and all sorts of personal postings make it even more difficult to sift through the mass of "stuff" to find "information" that is viable and credible. I spend a lot of time trying to teach students how to become critical users of the web. Unfortunately some of their parents and some of the teachers are just as intimitated as they are about all the stuff they need to sift through.

2 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

You like to change font color each post! How about adding an image or two from time to time, too? I'm into bolding and linking, but images stand out.

You are on the home stretch! Enjoy.

elmolibrary said...

Yes, I like pictures too, and use them often in the library. But I confess I am a bit intimidated about using pictures in my blogs. I love my MAC, but it will not let me use the latest internet explorer, and Safari is out of my comfort zone. It becomes a lot of trouble to move from three different web browsers like I had to do to put the original picture on.